Wednesday, January 28, 2009

No More Procrastination

Last week I had a meeting in Tampa; Tuesday and Wednesday. I had decided to drive. This way I could take a day of vacation and drive over to the east coast and visit my mom. Even though I was working, or on vacation; I decided to stop procrastinating so much, and start getting in better shape (more oval and less round).

The week began with a drive to Tampa on Monday. The morning was full of dropping the dog at the vet, setting off bug bombs at the house and meeting my friend for breakfast (we caravanned down to Tampa). By the time we got to the hotel and had a bite to eat, 24 was on. So Monday was a wash (OK, I procrastinated a little).

Tuesday and Wednesday I woke up in the morning and ran 2 ¼ miles each morning. (HA! Procrastination, I laugh in your general direction.)

On Thursday, I spent most of the day with my family. My mom and I had lunch with my aunt. This left me with very little time, but I was able to squeak in a short hike at the Savanna Preserve State Park.


On Friday, I went mountain biking. I know what you’re thinking, “Mountain biking in Florida, isn’t that an oxymoron?”, and the answer is yes. But, I rode the Ft. Pierce MTB trail, and it was sweet. I did start off in the wrong direction, riding through sugar sand on an ATV trail, but a couple of other mountain bikers pointed me in the right direction. I did about 5 miles of twisty single-track. (Only 1 wreck.)



On Saturday, I went back to the Savanna Preserve State Park for some kayaking. The park has guided tours of the marsh for $10 (that included the rental). The tour guide took us around, telling us about the different wildlife and plants (we didn’t see any alligators (it was too cold), but I did get to see a bald eagle fly overhead). The tour took about 3 hours, with the last hour going against the wind. It was a good work-out.



On Sunday, I drove back home. It took all day (a very, very, very long day).

On Monday, I recovered from the drive (slept) and picked up Allie from the vet (OK, I procrastinated a little more).

On Tuesday, I walked Allie in the morning, and rode 5 miles on my bike during lunch. (Some of you may be wondering why I only did 5 miles, instead of my usual. I will tell you. It was because it was cold. I was getting an ice cream headache without the pleasure of eating ice cream.) On the way home that night, I stopped and bought a under the helmet beanie. I was not going to let the cold beat me.

On Wednesday, I walked Allie in the morning, and ran (trudged) 4.5 miles. I was stupid on the run. I hadn’t eaten anything since lunch, and I didn’t bring a snack with me. About a 1 ½ miles in I started feeling weak. By the time I finished the run, I was spent. (Just a note, the beanie worked well.)

Today I walked, but that’s it. I am doing a double today, so tomorrow when I’m off, I might go mountain biking.

No comments: