Thursday, July 5, 2007

Happy 4th of July

Happy 4th of July. I spent a good portion of mine in my truck with my dogs, traveling to Alabama. This was the first road trip I’ve taken with my dogs that I’m staying more than a few hours (most of our trips are to someplace to hike and back). This time I am staying a few days with a friend, and my friend doesn’t have dogs (she has kids).

Weeks before I left I started planning, what will I need to bring? All the obvious things came to mind; food, biscuits, leashes and toys (I have all of these things sitting at my house, so no problem). Then I started thinking about the not so obvious things; food dishes (some people don’t like dogs eating out of people dishes (ewww dog cooties), and I didn’t know if my friend was one of those people), comforters (my friend has hardwood floors and my Lab “Allie” won’t walk on slick surfaces), pills (my Lab are on a couple of pills a day (it sucks getting old (remember I’m 40+, so I know))), crates (for sleeping and getting out of the house to go to Lowes, Home Depot or Wal-Mart ) and peanut butter ( to get them in their crates when I go to Lowes, Home Depot or Wal-Mart ).

I spent so much time planning what my dogs needed I forgot what I might need. First forgotten thing was a pipe wrench. I am installing a garbage disposal for my friend for her birthday (and people wonder why I’m single (tip for all you guys out their, never buy a woman, any woman, an appliance for their birthday)) and I forgot to bring a pipe wrench (and I knew she wouldn’t have tools).

The second thing I forgot was the seat for my bike. At Lake Guntersville State Park there is a road that goes around the park that isn’t busy with cars and looks to be a good workout. I brought my bike with me to see if I can get my cycling legs back (cycling legs are different from running legs).

I know I can get a wrench at Wal-Mart (a wrench is cheap and I can leave it over Susan’s house (every house should have one)), but I don’t know if I can find a cheap seat (I don’t want to pay a lot of money for something I have at home).

No comments: