Monday, October 8, 2007

The Corporate Run

Recently I ran the Kaisser Permanente Corporate Run (I did poorly). If you don’t know what the corporate run is, it is a benefit run for local charities. It is made up of businesses from around the area sponsoring teams (my company had about 100 runners).

I had been training with Buddy leading up to this run, and discovered my training was woefully inadequate. About 2 miles into the run I was done (it probably didn’t help that I worked most of the day, walked to the staging area from the train (over a mile), and walked around the staging area for 2 hours). Every time my heart rate monitor went off I would walk till my heart rate dropped low enough for me to run.

To explain how done I was; at one of the water break station a beautiful woman ran up next to me and grabbed some water (now some of you might know I’m not the most forward person when it comes to women (my friend Steve is laughing about the comment “not the most forward”), but in this environment I can usually say “how’s it going”, boy that hill was tough”, or something run related), but I couldn’t breath well enough to get out a sentence.

If that’s not proof enough; at this point the woman poured the water over herself, and continued on with the race (I’m not sure she knew or cared, but when you pour water over a white tank top it becomes transparent and when the water is a lot colder than it is outside the body reacts). Now this beautiful woman with the transparent shirt and high beams on took off. You may be thinking even if I couldn’t breath enough to talk to her, I could enjoy the view, but no, I was too out of breath to run next to her.

I continued on walking and running, but I could always tell where the wet t-shirt woman was. I would look forward in the distance and see guys with their heads turned, running into each other. It took me over 40 minutes to finish the 5K.

1 comment:

peepnroosmom said...

Maybe you will do better in the Peachtree Road Race. Only 8 months left of training.