Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Indian Springs Sprint Triathlon

Indian Springs (Tri the Parks) – Sprint Triathlon
Date of Race: June 26, 2010
Total Race Time = 1h 44m 23s
Overall Place = 308/408
Age Group = Male Master Clydesdale
Age Group Place = 15/22
________________________________________

Pre-race: I’ve gotten into a ritual the day before a race. I pack my tri bag, I go eat pasta (chicken penne pesto), I fill the truck up (if needed), I clean/lube the bike, I set the clock, I take a Motrin PM, and I drink a beer.

In the morning I shower (even though I’m about to jump into a lake), load the car up and head out. On the way out I will stop by Dunkin Donuts for a coffee and a bagel (I will also drink a mix 1 on the drive to the tri).

Warm-up: I am not much into warm-ups, but I did a short swim. After last week’s swim, I was nervous. After the swim I was walking back to transition and I overheard a couple talking. The guy was saying he would just swim with his eyes closed. I interrupted them and asked if he needed goggles, and if so I had some in my car. He did need goggles, so we headed towards the car. As we were walking to the car the girl jokingly asked if I had a extra helmet. I did.

At the car I realized my keys were in my tri bag in transition. I ran to transition and back (so I got a little run warm-up also), and lent a couple of strangers my extra goggles and helmet. I figured I could use the good Karma.
________________________________________


Swim: As a Clydesdale I was starting in the second to last wave. The course was a counterclockwise with 2 turns.

By 200 meters in I knew I was going to be fine. I felt good the whole swim, but the last 100 meters. The last 100 meters I battled another swimmer for the same piece of lake. We were climbing all over each other. This lasted till about 20 meters till the exit when I was finally able to pull ahead.

The transition area was up a hill and across a street. I’m not sure but I think it may have been in a different time zone (it was that far away).

Swim Time: 15m:22s

T1: T-1 was OK. Not super fast, but better than last week.

T1 Time: 1m:45s

Bike: I did good on the bike. I stayed around FT the whole time, and all I did was pass people. The course was hilly which suits me. All in all a good bike ride.

Bike Time: 47m:07s

T2: T-2 was not good. I came in from the bike and went down the wrong lane, and had to go all the way around to get to my spot.

T2 Time: 2m:40s

Run: The run felt like a forced death march through the Indian Springs camp grounds. It was hot. At every water station I took 2 cups, one to hydrate and one to dump on my head.

This was a hilly course. During one of the uphill’s I tried an experiment. I walked 100 yards. It appears I can walk faster than I can run. Yet, I still run instead of walk. (I really need to work on my run)
Run Time: 37m:27s
________________________________________


Post Race: After the race I hung out with some friends of mine. One of them finished 1st in his age group.

After the awards ceremony the girl that I lent the helmet too found me and returned the helmet (the goggles were laying on my car when I got there).

Rate your overall experience with this race: I would give this race a 4. I would do this race again.

No comments: