Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Silver Comet Trail


I went riding on the Silver Comet Trail yesterday. The trail is a "Rails to Trails" trail that runs from Smyrna, GA to the Georgia/Alabama border. At the border it changes its name to the Chief Laguna Trail, and continues on to Birmingham, AL (I didn't ride to Birmingham).

I rode from Smyrna to Hiram and back, about 30 miles (it felt like it was 20 miles too long). It had been about 20 days since I've been on my bike, and I only ran twice since the last time I was on my bike. It is amazing how fast your fitness drops (this is why I'm not expecting a drop in weight tomorrow).

The ride started out good. The Silver Comet is relatively flat, and I was able to keep my Heart Rate below 135bpm for the trip to Hiram. On the way back was anouther story; I couldn't seem to keep my HR below 135bpm. I went slower and slower, used lower and lower gears, but I just couldn't keep my HR lower than 135bpm. At around mile 23, I stopped trying. I put the bike in a higher gear, and hammered my way home (as much as I can hammer). By the time I got to my car, I was spent.


Bellow are some pictures from the ride:



Approaching a tunnel in Cobb.













Trestle Bridge over Nickajack Creek








Reminiscence of when the trail was a rail line.


1 comment:

peepnroosmom said...

The Silver Comet Trail is nice. I would be dead after only a couple of miles, though. Nice pics!